Thursday, April 13, 2006

Locked out

Was locked out of my apartment last night from 8p-10:35pm. I didn't realize that I forgot my keys until I was at the door digging through my Mary poppins bag. I paged and texted my roommates - they're not home til 10 30pm. I'm not going to ruin their plans. I saw it as an omen that I needed a medium between work and home. In recent nights I've been coming straight home and flop self in front of TV or go on-line. Thankfully I live in Midtown West so there are things to occupy myself with.

Went to a Mexican place - Ariba!Ariba! and had their sangria and vegetable tamales. Not bad. The place was full of yippies and folks of all ages both straight and gay, flirting, eating and drinking. I read an old issue of Economist magazine that appeared out of nowhere in my Mary poppins bag (darn no In Touch), vee-veed the scene at intervals and my waiter was cute. No complaints.

Having enough of the scene at Ariba! I hoofed it to Border's book store at Columbus Circle and browsed a bit. I haven't splurged in quite a while (maybe it's because I found out I'll get some tax money back because I paid union fees) so I settled on the last of Dune Houses sagas - House Corrino. I read House Harkonnen last month. And I also purchased "The Island at the Center of the World: the Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and The Forgotten Colony That Shaped America". I'd been eyeing that book for months and now forced myself to get it. And Premiere Magazine with X-Men 3 on the cover. A must! I was happy to see two of the *original* X-Men brought to the screen - Archangel and the Beast. Kelsey Grammer (Fraiser?!) is the Beast. Nice surprise.

I haven't gotten around to reading Deaf People in Hitler's Europe as I knew most of the materials in the book from '99. And it's not exactly easy on the eye.

About the "Island" I've always been intrigued by the history of Dutch colony and the city. We all know about the sale of Manhattan in $24 beads and trinkets and the autocratic Governor Peter Stuyvesant. I was born in Amsterdam (upstate NY not the Netherlands), have gone to nearby cities such as Rotterdam and Rensselaer among quite a few. A region full of towns and villages named by Mohawks, German Paletines, the English and Dutch. Whenever I take the Amtrak from NYC to Albany (formerly named Fort Orange before the English takeover in 1664) alongside Hudson River I would sometimes imagine what it is like for Henry Hudson to sail up thinking he's found the NorthWest Passage to the Orient.

The writer wrote the book based on research and translation of 12,000 pages of 17th century Dutch papers that was sitting in some obscure and musty area at New York State Library in Albany.

I'll read Deaf in Hitler's Europe as Sano has been patiently waiting all these months for a review and it's a quicker read than the Island. I'm off for laundry and pedicure before the Seder.. Happy Easter and Passover. May all Chocolate Bunnies and Peeps live in fear!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ridor said...

Whoo! I remmy visiting your home and Sarah was stuck outside of the apartment.

Turns out we were locked out ... and you came to rescue us out!

R-

4/29/2006 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home