Monday, January 23, 2006

Movies, movies,movies, and a Book

Been vegging much of late the last few weeks with the new job... I arrive home exhausted and ready to plug myself into the good ol' boob tube. A number of "Law & Order" and some SVU and CI to name a few.. and reading "Lilith's Brood" by Octavia Butler late into night (now on the second book, 'Adulthood Rites'). Will post a review once I've finished the book. A really great read.

Movies

Mr. and Mrs. Smith - a proper action movie with a marriage twist. A fun movie to watch especially a well publicized romance between Jolie and Pitt. There were few moments where I thought I saw restrained affection between the two.

Dark Water - a ghostie story and *SPOILERALERTSPOILERALERT* this is where the ghostie wins.. It was a real kick watching the movie because it was shot on Roosevelt Island, a tiny sliver of land between Manhattan and Queens. You can walk from one side to the other in few minutes and an even longer walk maybe 15 minutes north from southern tip of island. I used to go and work there every month the last three years. The low income housing and the school looked very welcoming.. Jennifer Connelly walked the same streets as I did. I recognized many fixtures. There's a lighthouse on the northern tip of the island in a park. Spring be coming in few months and the island is very lovely with dogwood and blossom trees at the time of the year..

The Triplets of Belleville - a very dark French cartoon movie. It did test my tolerance for absurdity.. the way the French bikers competing for Ridor's favorite Lance Armstrong event with overlarge thighs and calves, narrow bodies and hypnotic gaze. The dog barking at the passing trains and being used as a spare when a wheel couldn't be found.. the Triplets and their frogs *shudder* really carries the French and their frog eating stereotype far. I couldn't decide whether I liked the movie or not. I think you have to be in a certain mood to watch it and I have no sense of humor in how pets were portrayed.. It's pretty cool for deafies.. It's mostly instrumental music with very few dialogue. It's a pictorial story and pretty easy to follow.

I'm all tingle.. Will be watching an encore of "Battlestar" soon tonight. I missed it on Friday. The one I saw last week was okay. It has a very convenient ending.. The other Number Six cylon, the flesh and blood Gina killed Admiral Cain instead of Starbuck. At the end of the show, the camera panned to Petty Officer Dualla who was listening into Starbuck and Lee Adama's conversation. My sister, also an avid Battlestar fan thinks Dualla is a Cylon.

Speaking of Cylons.. there seems to be a group who have infiltrated and joined the good side.. Tonight's encore is about Cylon sympathizers and Cylon Sharon pregnant with Helo's (this was before he discovered she was a Cylon) baby. a Hybrid baby with potential healing (think stem cell research).

Not much distinction between Sci-Fi and the real thing.. It's all about the storytelling, my friend.

6 Comments:

Blogger LARRY said...

that was an interesting BG episode...i am curious about the aftermath of the blood donation

1/24/2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

yea - me very curious...

1/25/2006 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

US Version of Dark Water is not as good as the Japanese Version. Check out the real thing.

1/27/2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

will do ... I've seen the original for the grudge (ju-on) and i haven't seen the US version... it was on cable for few minutes and I didn't get into it.

one missed call - another japanese spookie.. really good!

1/30/2006 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another Korean spookie for you...Tales of Two Sisters!

2/02/2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

most excellent. danke schon!

2/05/2006 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home