Thursday, March 16, 2006

Lilith's Brood

I finished the book sometime early in February and I thought the third book, "Imago" completed the trilogy. The pros and cons of genetic engineering and inbreeding were obvious but at the end humanity prevails. It's a common theme in most sci fi and fantasy books. It's open to deliberation because we all have different perceptions of what humanity ought to be. Usually, free of machines and alien domination but I'm not sure how comforting it could be.

Sci Fi books are often about machine domination, demise of the eco system, superiority or degradation of the human and/or alien race - they're usually fascinating, psychological study of human behavior and you appreciate the limitations of the eco system. Some of them are downright depressing like Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" and "Oryx and Crake". Others creative, interesting and almost realistic in terms of human behavior and the eco system - the Dune books and "Lilith's Brood".

I have yet to read "Deaf People's in Hitler's Europe".. I'm sitting in on a training tomorrow so I could bring it along...

1 Comments:

Blogger Katie Roberts said...

I found the book to be enlightening, but at the end, although I was pleased with the result, I also felt very sad, like something had been lost. It was a weird thing to get used to, the trimuverate thing.

I agree with what you said about sci fi books. That's why I love them too! Very interesting.

Glad to see you back online. I haven't gotten around to getting back online my blog yet. :(

3/20/2006 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home