Wednesday, April 26, 2006

few cents here

proposed immigration laws against illegals.

Haven't really kept up much in detail as of late but the good ol' WASPy white boys on the hill have it wrong again. Out of touch with the current and so far into their comforts that they've no idea what's out there or forgotten where they came from. It's astounding how folks have turned out and the march in LA a while back - someone reckoned that it's the biggest civil rights march seen since the King days in 1960s. Good for them.

History repeats itself.. "Those Who Forget the Past Are Condemned to Repeat It" by Santaya (sp)... A tempting piece of arable land with clean water and raw materials aplenty. People move in and adjust to way of life by depending on the local resources and climate. Several centuries later, give or take, a next wave of people come in and flush out the original inhabitants if neither group adapt to the other. One way or other assimilation occurs. Course, there's few pockets of resistance or preservation. Some people mix in and intermarry or keep their respective distances. US of A is long trumpeted as land of opportunity. My family's been in New York State six generations now and my parents tell me how our ancestors came here for a better life from the Irish faminine to lacking opportunties in Central Europe.

The Native Americans, Anglo Saxon Judeo-Christians, Catholics, free blacks, the Irish.. then the swarthy folks from southern Europe (Italy and Greece).. more waves of people have darker or yellowish skin color, slanty eyes, wearing ponchos.. The 'natives' dismiss them because they take worse paying jobs in poorer conditions. Immigration always always provide cheap labor that the previous wave no longer touch.

I heard about this indie film that came out few years ago.. can't recall the name but I think it's part of Tribeca film festival that's now happening in town. If one day all immigrants left or stopped in California.. 20 percent of the population, gone affecting significant number of teachers and all fruit pickers.

land and people change, fool.

Additional note: protest in Union Square today (4/29). Good for them! I'm not going because I have laundry to do and my apartment especially my bedroom begs a lot of cleaning. I work in social services with many deaf immigrants. that's my contribution to society and I need to maintain a balance for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home