Thursday, June 16, 2005

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Is one of the most entertaining films I've seen in quite a while.. Not since Kung Fu Hustler. Well, that's a whole different genre, but that is one mind blowing film. Advise to bring a friend to be each other's mental buffer.

Back to Sky Captain. It's one of the numerous Jude Law films (okay may be a tad biased in this) released within a month over the winter I think. It's out on DVD and boy did I vee! Rounding out the cast are Gynweth Paltrow, Giovanni Ribiosi and Angelina Jolie. I won't go much into details - the movie is set in 1930s with plenty of CGI. Very good CGI as opposed to George Lucas' shiny and candied ones in the Star Wars prequels. Very dark, film noir type, soft shadowing and colors. The shots and editing made me feel nostalgic for 1930s and 40s films such as Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon. Jude with the Sky Captain's heroic countenance, Giovanni as the "no problem will get to it" catchphrase, Gyn's being feisty and throwing smouldering looks, and Angie's uh commanding position (was kinda disappointed with her portrayal of an otherwise interesting character).

Worth renting, it is.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CGI???

6/16/2005 11:37 PM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

computer graphics something something. the special effects.

6/17/2005 9:31 AM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Oh Giovanni Risbi is in that?? I never realized that. I love him, he's a real good actor. He should win an Oscar! or did he?
Anyway, I got that movie on my Netflix list. So, I'll see it eventually. Thanks for the light review!

6/18/2005 12:36 AM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

yeah it's him. I like him the best in Saving Private Ryan and The Gift. I know he's in a good number of films..

dunno about oscars but he's definitely due for a nomination.

6/18/2005 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home