Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Baking is Good For You

Feel a bit more ease with the world. I've cracked open Karen Duff's "A Slob in the Kitchen" cookbook. Over the weekend I made Baked Zucchini. Not bad. 10 baby zucchinis (the store had medium sizes so I improvised by buying 5 fat ones and chopped 4 1/2), 5 whole plum tomatoes, one small onion, with salt, pepper and thyme to season. 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Half on the bottom of baking dish and the other half to drizzle. Bake for about 30 minutes. Makes great leftovers (I'm a big leftover eater) . Rice or pasta complement the dish well. *urp* Most vegetables aren't good leftovers as they can become soggy from being in the fridge after several days, nevertheless the zucchini remained firm and tomatoes squishy. Nice.

Tonight - I baked Baking Powder biscuits. The ingredients consisted of flour, baking powder, salt, milk and butter; knead the dough, use a juice cup to cut biscuit holes and plop them onto an ungreased baking sheet and in the oven they go, for approx 13 minutes. Three biscuits topped with margarine and jam are sitting comfortably in my tummy. They'll make a decent breakfast in the morning, yes sir. I bought a small block of Amish Store's homemade butter (didn't need to buy 4 sticks in a pack at this time).. It's super salty yet gives the biscuits a good punch.

I grew up on Campbell's Soup and couple of pasta recipes Mom made (tuna noodle casserole and beef stronagoff) included Campbell's. They're easy to make and again, delicious leftovers. Sarah is always amused whenever I make them and surprised me one day by giving me a Campbell cookbook. All recipes with a Campbell's soup. My particular fave so far is broccoli with chicken cream. Leftovers. Yum.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fooooooooooood! liberate some love!

6/08/2005 8:30 AM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

that reminds me - I've yet to see that spanish speaking flick chocolate or strawberries something like that? *shamed look*

6/08/2005 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like water for chocolate...

and then chocolat is a great movie!

6/08/2005 12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ive also got a japanese food movie... uhhh... cant remember the name, its something japanese. but its fun to watch. up for it?

6/09/2005 7:34 AM  
Blogger K said...

A domestic diva, eh? :)

6/10/2005 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy!!! Sound good to me. Just to make sure I am thinking of right person... Are you Katie Breen? I could spell your last name wrong.

6/10/2005 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's now kate breen. katie is just too juvenile--that's why katie roberts hasn't switched over yet *snicker*duck*ily!* and joe--is it the one where an egg gets bitten during orgasm!?

6/11/2005 12:12 AM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

really? raw or cooked? will get in touch, joe...

christine - yep, it sho is! hi hi hi.

me, diva? I've been on a streak - been under a lot of stress and vacationing so more time to cook. I made veggie burger out of black beans and persian salad. next - campbell stuff to last me through the week..

6/11/2005 6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrr!! You are making my mouth watering! Gimme those recipes! LOL!

~CMK

6/13/2005 2:39 PM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

home made veggie burger

one can black beans
one medium onion (chopped)
1 cup cooked rice
one beaten egg

mash the black beans, then combine the rest in the bowl. separate the batch into 4 or 5 patties and fry in oil 5 mins until browned. easy!

*wipes CMK's drool off the keyboard*

6/13/2005 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Muhuwahahahaha! Thx darling! ;o)

~CMK

6/14/2005 11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*ack*

the sodium in a campbell's is enough to kill you in just a couple of years!

delicious campbell recipes, yes. but healthy for you, NO.

6/17/2005 4:06 PM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

I'm still alive.

Course I don't have it hooked into an IV .. moderation, moderation.

6/18/2005 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home