Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Series/Sagas Anonymous

Hi. My name is Kate

(hi, kate!)

I have a problem. I cannot get enough of book and TV series/sagas. All the times I could have devoted reviewing political theories and ideologies, learning a new foreign language such as Spanish or Chinese, do drawing projects (two at this time are way past their deadlines) I choose to read Dune chronologies or Harry Potter. But no, authors and creators like JK Rowling, Alan Ball, Jane Austen and Gregory Magurie had to write well rounded characters.

TV: Battlestar Galactica
Six Feet Under
Deadwood

Books:
Series -
Harry Potter
Thursday Next (the author Jasper Fforde will have a new one out based on Humpty Dumpty who was featured in book #3, I am so screwed)
Dune (with three separate series Chronologies, the Family sagas, AND Legends. EffingEff!)
No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
and few more I can't think of at the moment.

Saga -
the Dark Matter by Phillip Pullman

Authors
Gregory Maguire ( I read Wicked before it became popular. Confessions of the Evil Stepsister, me like. Disappointed with Lost and Snow White)
Jane Austen ( finally stopped reading her works and can wait few more years to pick up Mansfield Park)
John Irving (shook him off, too)...

and quite few more to mention. Time does not permit.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince *hyperventilating*

Still reading Dune chronologies. I stopped at Children of Dune and is now reading House Atredies the first of the family House saga. Fuck. Fuckity-fuck.

I'll have some coffee and mingle.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel exactly the same way about maguire's 4 books!...i think mirror, mirror (the snow white book) was better than lost, not quite a redemption or anything, but he regains some of his depth. lost was most disappointing because it had such a wonderful premise, much more unique than the other books, and he focuses on the wrong things. it feels like he didn't know where to go with the complexity, so instead of reworking the entire book, he tried to give his readers what he thought they wanted: a whole lot of craziness...only it got really flat and boring.

4/27/2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

agreed about mirror, mirror. I was never a fan of SNow White (disney version). I may have to find the original version AND find out the history of the era. was bit Lost when I read it.

mayhaps maguire take a break and come up with something better now that expectations are low?

Wicked on Broadway is still going strong.

4/27/2005 12:37 PM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

additional information to Jane Austen's work: there's a spate of sequels to pride and prejudice and some of austen's incomplete works. i'm tempted to have a look but....

4/27/2005 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes. i own _Mr Darcy's Daughters_ or whatever it's called, and i really enjoyed reading it! it was a great sequel; i didn't realize i'd enjoy it as much as i did. i can give it to you when you visit.

4/28/2005 1:16 AM  
Blogger LARRY said...

Battlestar Galactica...LOVE IT! Cant wait til July when the new season starts!

I've been told that Maguire's Wicked is the best of them all. Loved Wicked. Read Mirror, Mirror and somehow I expected to be like Wicked but it was different. I have Lost and Confessions of the Ugly Stepsister but haven't had the chance to read it. Will do over the summer.

4/28/2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

beth - you evil temptress. sure, I'll read it when I visit :).

Larry - I finally saw two original classic battlestar when I had the day off on monday. the actor who did Apollo, his hair and face HAS NOT changed when he guest starred on the current Battlestar. I like the current brash (female) starbucks as opposed to whoring (male) starbucks. OK I think I should make a new post out of this.

4/28/2005 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home