Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Chosen One

As Harry Potter is now known. My thoughts and comments on the book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

JK Rowling has done it again. The plots, history and characters. Harry was right all along about Severus Snape.

Or - is Snape acting on his own interests? He is skilled with Occlumency and Legilimens possibility proving himself impervious to Voldemort and Dumbledore's efforts to read or penetrate his mind. Also he allowed himself to take the Unbreakable Vow to assist (wimpy) Draco Malfoy if he didn't carry out his assigned task. What's more, when Harry and Dumbledore were in the cave, finding a Horcrux, Dumbledore told Harry to go through with the task no matter if Dumbledore was at peril. Maybe it was the same for Snape? Dumbledore also admitted his weaknesses as an old man. "Being a cleverer one I make huger mistakes", trying to find goodness in everyone.

Many fans complain that JK shouldn't have killed Dumbledore off like that, even choosing him as her latest "character killed off". During a press junket last year, an interviewer asked JK if any more characters close to Harry would be killed? Her short and curt response was "Yes. Sorry". I was stunned and saddened how Dumbledore died at the hands of Snape. Then again, it's real life, during peace or war you lose someone you feel close to or look up to.

Harry is left feeling the sense of betrayal and very determined to pursue Voldemort and he'd deal with Snape if he got in the way.

Harry and Ginny. Harry's an idiot. He knows well enough that Love is the only thing that Voldemort cannot touch. Ron and Hermione. Waiting...

JK Rowling included more clues and information in what Harry would do in the next (and final) installment of the series. My fever finally broke and I look forward to being delirious again in 2007.

I have a guess about R.A.B.'s identity. If it's the person I have in mind, he was killed by Voldemort himself which is pretty rare as he usually sends a minion to do the job.

So back to the real world.. And finish the damned Dune chronicles (I'm half way through the final book - "Chapterhouse") and my next reading plans are NOT limited to series or sagas.. woo. I'd like to read the "Mermaid Chair" as I really liked the author's previous work "The Secret Lives of Bumblebees" among a few....

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Harry Potter discussion.

About Mermaid Chair, it was good, but very slow starting. I have to admit that I like The Secret Lives of Bumblebees better. Let me know what you think. :-D

7/29/2005 11:09 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

agh, have spoiler warnings gone out of style? :)

7/31/2005 12:43 PM  
Blogger Kate O. Breen said...

well.. it's been two weeks since it was released... Should I post "read at your own risk" the next review around? :)..if you refrain reading this fr few months then you should be able to read the book with out remembering all spoilers..

7/31/2005 11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home