Thursday, January 17, 2008

Settling in...

I'm at the Schoharie Library enjoying its hotspot. My wi-fi doesn't work at home and for a change, the library is a pleasant setting. Perhaps because it is smaller and more quieter than a NY public library and the location is a converted house. Each room and hall is filled with books, magazines, some and reference local and faraway; and upstairs - a community meeting room and two rooms filled with historical artifacts of the house. Furniture, paintings, old style wall papering and stencilling adjourned the rooms and some lovely wood moldings.

While my laptop caught up on its virus check I read an older edition of a Nancy Drew book (a black woman was described as 'colored') but fret not as there's plenty of literature in current print. Far as I can see, I mean. There's a Thursday Next pre-sequel hard cover, published last fall. I know of it because I bought a copy around then. So there's hope for me and this library.

Hopefully I'll utilize this library several times a week so I won't go insane being confined to the house studying and reading school materials. That was the mistake I made last semester in NYC - basically staying in my apartment and not going out for days, unless I needed to restock the kitchen of food.

I've been walking around my home town on a nearly daily basis, becoming familiar with it again. It's not the same without a bike back when I was a kid. My house is located in central part of the village with access to Stewarts, schools, and a couple bars. The post office had moved to northern part of the village almost close to the village boundaries so It's almost a mile and a half round trip. I needed a set of stamps because I couldn't find the ones I'd packed and walking is a better excuse than going through my parents' stuff looking for stamps. It was snowing when I walked so it was rather pleasant, but much to my irritation the desk was closed for lunch hour and it was only 20 minutes into. There wasn't even a stamp vendor machine like the ones back in NYC. I wasn't keen on standing between walls of post boxes for the next 40 minutes and the neighborhood consisted of houses, a shut down ice cream place (it just occurred to me now that a diner is located couple doors down) and a sort of garden mill and tractor store place.

I returned the next day in the morning and got a full book of stamps. Some more adjusting to do but I'm in a relatively good shape except for some food withdrawal such as sushi. Hopefully will go to the city this weekend and grab a plate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home